One thing before you read this article...Are you ready to improve your Excel Skills in 2015?
Formula School's first Excel course intake for 2015 is about to open. Invest in yourself in 2015 and reduce your frustration with formulas in Excel for just $47
Click here to learn more and enroll today - Next course starts Jan 15
If you are like me and you want to do some kind of calculation or duration in hours, minutes and seconds – I am sure you have been very frustrated with Excel totally ignoring what you want to achieve! Well did you know that it isn’t as hard as Excel makes it out to be! You can very quickly do calculations like adding two times together, subtracting times from each other, or seeing what the average time is of a range. They key is to ensure that your cells or formatted correctly first. Here is how you do it!
- Select the cells that you want to add your times to
- Right click, and then select “format cells” from the menu that appears
- In the “format cells” dialog box that appears, make sure you are on the “Number” tab
- In the category box, select “custom”
- Look for a Type in the list which looks like [h]:mm:ss and select it
- Click Ok
Now that your numbers are formatted correctly as times, you can start doing your calculations. Simply add, subtract or average like you normally would in excel using formulas like =SUM(), and =AVERAGE()
’till next time!