Who else wants to know the secret to Excel Formulas?Invest in yourself in 2015 and reduce your frustration with formulas in Excel for just $19.95 - Click here to enroll today
Ever wanted the users of your spreadsheets to fill in cells using only a certain number of options. Wouldn’t it be fantastic, instead of making people remember the correct names (and spelling) of each… that we could just give them a nice little list of options to pick from to populate the cell?
Well in Excel 2013, that is really easy! Here is how to go about it.
Using Data Validation to create look up lists in Excel 2013
1) Click on the cell you want the look up / drop down list to appear in
2) Go to the “Data” tab in the Excel 2013 ribbon
3) Look for the “Data Tools” group
4) Click on “Data Validation”… then click on “Data Validation” from the drop down menu
5) In the box that appears, on the “Settings” tab, set the Validation criteria to allow “List”
6) In the “Source” text box, type in the options you want to make available (and remember to separate them with a comma!)
7) Click “OK”
Easy as that!
’till next time!